Weight loss might very well be one of the longest running health issues in the world. Year in and year out, we hear about people wanting to lose weight, and programs offering guaranteed results. From diets to exercise regimens to pills – we have seen all these weight loss solutions come and go, and we continue to read and hear about more of them. Now I am not saying they do not work. After all, there are people who have actually lost weight following one of those. But at the end of the day, doctors, nutritionists, and fitness experts will tell you one thing: proper diet and exercise are all you need for weight loss. Speaking of proper diet…it simply means that you eat healthily and not gorge on everything that you want to eat. The good news is that there are certain food items that actually help you lose weight. This does not mean that they are all that you should eat and that you should deprive yourself of other food, but eating more of them can help you reach your goals!
- Apples. More than keeping the doctor away, eating an apple before meal time can help you consume fewer calories. Any fruit can do the same, but the advantage of apples is that they have high fiber content, as well as high antioxidant content.
- Coffee. I kid you not. Coffee has been known to raise metabolism, which results in more calories burned. It should go without saying that taking your coffee with little or no sugar and cream/milk is the way to go.
- Pumpkin. Great for jack-o’-lanterns, but they are also great for losing weight. This vegetable/fruit has a lot of fiber, which means you get full quickly without the calories! Well, okay, a few calories.
- Green tea. This tea is one of the most popular food items for weight loss. You can drink it, you can mix it in food, or you can even take it as supplements. I suggest downing plain green tea instead of your usual high-calorie Starbucks frappe. You’ll be amazed at the results!
- Chilies. Believe it or not, these spicy things can help you lose weight. They contain natural fat burning elements. It just sucks if you can’t take the heat!
- Cauliflower/broccoli. Just like apples and pumpkin, these two vegetables are great for losing weight as they are high in fiber. Cauliflower has the added bonus of having high vitamin C content and both have shown anti-cancer properties. And I don’t know about you, but I find these two delicious!
Losing weight is certainly not an easy task for everyone. But if you pay a little more attention to what you eat and focus more on these food items, you just might get better and faster results. Good luck!